Hanover: Combating “Buy Now” Pressures
I was recently tagged in a Facebook post to see if I could give some advice to a woman to posted the following:
“Have any of you used XXXXX exteriors for windows/doors? I went to the xxx fair and they had a booth (we just bought a new house and need to replace the front bay window) got a call after signing up for the free replacement windows and was asked to come out to do a free quote… well the free quote turned out to be a “take this offer now or it’s gone” oh and they won’t just do one window they have a minimum of 6. We took the offer because it’s better than any other quotes we’ve gotten and they seem like they have a good product. I’m kinda questioning our decision though because we didn’t have much time to decide…”
I hate when I see posts like this, because it gives people the impression that all Home Improvement Companies act is such a deplorable manner. So, I thought I would share some of the tips I shared on this post in hopes of helping anyone else who is thinking about a remodeling project.
- In the state of Massachusetts, you have a 3 day right of rescission. The company is required to give you a waiver at the time you sign the contract with this information. It states that if you cancel the contract within 3 days of signing they must return your deposit and cancel the contract without any repercussions on your part.
- There are a lot of great local companies on the south shore who can provide you with great products and help you educate yourself before you make a final decision who is a good fit for you. The eastern mass chapter of NARI – the National Association of the Remodeling Industry is also a great resource to find professional local contractors who are licensed.
- Also, you should make sure whoever you hire gives you copies of their:
- Workers Compensation Insurance,
- General Liability Insurance,
- Home Improvement Contracts License,
- Construction Supervisors License,
- And if your house was built before 1978 their lead safe renovators licenses (to comply with the federal RRP laws)
If you’re not comfortable before you start, you probably won’t have an enjoyable experience overall for any number of reasons. I am always uncomfortable with companies who try a buy now or miss out offer. Trust me you won’t “miss out” on anything by waiting until you have done your research and feel comfortable with process.
Www.almarbuilding.com/newsroom has some great article to help you answer your questions about windows and choosing a contractor.
If you have questions Home Improvement project please let my team know. Our team has been working with families like yours for over 58 years. And it is important to us that everyone works together to create the best possible experience. If you have questions about your home improvement project please let us know. https://www.almarbuilding.com (781-826-2577) and watch our videos at http://www.youtube.com/almarbuilding.com
Almar Building & Remodeling Co (Hanover Ma). As a third-generation family owned and operated company for over 58 years Almar Building has all the benefits of a small company with the options of a larger company. From Additions, Kitchens, Bathroom, Basement Renovations, Siding, Windows, to Doors Almar services the entire South Shore of Massachusetts including: Hanover, Hingham, Pembroke, Norwell, Scituate, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanson, Abington, Rockland, Holbrook, Braintree, Weymouth, Milton, Westwood, and many more towns.