5 Tips for Creating an Amazing Finished Basement Space in 2015
An unfinished basement is much like a diamond in the rough – unexplored splendor awaiting your discovery. When looking for space to put an exercise room, entertainment center playroom or office you should consider go undergrounding! If your home has an unfinished basement, remodeling might be a great way to transform this commonly under-used space.
When Almar starts working with a client who is considering a basement remodel we start by determining what their need are. We need to take note of:
- Where the mechanicals are: Furnace, electric panel, water heater
- Access to basement from upstairs and outside.
- Location of existing plumbing if you want an additional bathroom
- Location of vertical support columns
- Location of windows and doors
- Floor/ceiling/wall materials.
- Amount of water the area gets.
Given their constant contact with the earth, basements are vulnerable to dampness, which makes basement remodeling a bit more complex than first meets the eye. Here are 5 tips for creating an amazing finished basement space.
- Stay away from dark wood paneling and instead consider drywall painted in light tones to make the room brighter. Semi-gloss paint will gently reflect even more light into the room.
- Open up the visual space. Double doors – even glass double interior doors – take away the typical cubicle look. Or, how about a rounded archway or pass-through area from one room to another?
- Check to see if exiting windows can be enlarged. Or, consider installing a small boxed window for a mini-garden to grow herbs or start plant seedlings. In some case we may even be able to cut a new window into the existing foundation wall.
- Wainscoting, Built-in books cases and entertainment units add richness and depth to a room. Light them with interior lights or from the top to cast a light downwards.
- Disguise vertical support beams and horizontal ceiling pipes for floor joists by boxing them in. Or, you might decide to actually use pipes and beams as interesting accents by painting them with bold colors or subtle earth tomes.
An unfinished basement is much like a diamond in the rough – unexplored splendor awaiting your discovery. As one client said after their basement renovation “Thank you for the beautiful job you’ve done finishing our basement! We are enjoying it so much! Your employees were so informative and professional. All of your suggestions always worked into our budget. Also, Allison was always there to answer our questions. We will be very quick to recommend your company! Thanks again for a job well done!”
As a third generation family owned and operated company for over 50 years. From Additions, Kitchens, Bathroom, Basement Renovations, Siding, Windows, to Doors Almar services the entire South Shore of Massachusetts including: Hanover, Hingham, Pembroke, Norwell, Scituate, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanson, Abington, Rockland, Holbrook, Braintree, Weymouth, Milton, and many more towns. https://www.almarbuilding.com 781-826-2577
See Almar’s work on our youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/almarbuilding
See Related Articles
Planning a Basement Remodel
Featured Basement Project
Should I Remodel my Basement
Critical Tips for Basement Finishing
Reducing Musty Smells in Basements
5 tips for creating an amazing finished basement space in 2015