How Can I Create an Amazing Finished Basement?
An unfinished basement is much like a diamond in the rough – unexplored splendor awaiting your discovery. When looking for space to put an exercise room, entertainment center playroom or office you should consider go underground! If your home has an unfinished basement, remodeling might be a great way to transform this commonly under-used space.
- Where the mechanicals are: Furnace, electric panel, water heater
- Access to basement from upstairs and outside.
- Location of existing plumbing if you want an additional bathroom
- Location of vertical support columns
- Location of windows and doors
- Floor/ceiling/wall materials.
- Amount of water the area gets.
Given their constant contact with the earth, basements are vulnerable to dampness, which makes basement remodeling a bit more complex than first meets the eye. Here are 5 tips for creating an amazing finished basement space.
An unfinished basement is much like a diamond in the rough – unexplored splendor awaiting your discovery.
- Stay away from dark wood paneling and instead consider drywall painted in light tones to make the room brighter. Semi-gloss paint will gently reflect even more light into the room.
- Do you need the space to be multi-purpose? Then consider dividing it into two spaces. For example, one area may be a media room and the other a kids’ play area. Utilizing double doors – even glass double interior doors – take away the typical cubicle look. Or, how about a rounded archway or pass-through area from one room to another?
- Check to see if exiting windows can be enlarged. Or, consider installing a small boxed window for a mini-garden to grow herbs or start plant seedlings. In some case we may even be able to cut a new window into the existing foundation wall.
- Wainscoting, Built-in books cases and entertainment units add richness and depth to a room. Light them with interior lights or from the top to cast a light downwards.
- Do you have a pet that needs access to their litter box or own space? Consider designing a “pet door” that works with the rooms design. A barn door style allows you have access to additional space without ruining the look for the room.
Our team has been working with families like yours for over 60 years. And it is important to us that everyone works together to create the best possible experience. If you have questions about your home improvement project please let us know. https://www.almarbuilding.com (781-826-2577) and watch our videos at http://www.youtube.com/almarbuilding.com
Almar Building & Remodeling Co (Hanover Ma). As a third generation family owned and operated company for over 60 years Almar Building has all the benefits of a small company with the options of a larger company. From Additions, Kitchens, Bathroom, Basement Renovations, Siding, Windows, to Doors Almar services the entire South Shore of Massachusetts including: Hanover, Hingham, Pembroke, Norwell, Scituate, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanson, Abington, Rockland, Holbrook, Braintree, Weymouth, Milton, and many more towns. Hanover: 5 Tips for Creating an Amazing Finished Basement Space