Pembroke: How Do You Know It’s Time to Replace Your Roof?
Your roof protects your framing, walls and personal belongings so it is obviously a very important part of your home, yet oftentimes until a leak appears you may not know that it’s shelf life has expired. Typical Asphalt shingles have a life span of 20 – 25 years, depending on the initial weight of the shingles, and how many layers of shingles are on the roof. For instance Certainteed Landmark Series of Designer Roofing Shingles have an estimated life space of 30+ years and depending on the series you choose they offer various warranties including algae-resistance, SureStart protection and wind-resistance warranty.
Clearly, it is not a good idea to wait until your roof is leaking to fix it. So how do you know when it’s time to replace it? There are several telltale signs.
- Shingle edges are curled or cupped. Shingles should be lying flat against the roof.
2. Bald spots or missing granules
- Check your gutters as well, a roof that is losing a lot of its granules is coming to the end of its life span.
3. Cracked shingles – if you find cracking is occurring
4. Dark streaks. Airborne algae can cause dark streaks on roof decks. If not too severe, algae streaks can be removed using a 50:50 blend of water and bleach sprayed on your roof. If algae has been in place too long it can cause granules to break down and create bald spots as seen above.
5. Moss. Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it won’t prevent it from growing again. If moss is present in combination with any of the other signs, it’s time to replace.
6. The roof just looks old and worn
Your roof is at least 20 years old; while many shingles today are produced for durability, many factors can accelerate the aging of shingles. Another sign is that your neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time experience the same types of weather conditions which can mean that your roof is nearing its useful life as well.
If your roof is showing any of these signs, be sure to contact us here at Almar for a quote to replace your roof and protect your investment.
Our team has been working with families like yours for over 58 years. And it is important to us that everyone works together to create the best possible experience. If you have questions about your home improvement project please let us know. https://www.almarbuilding.com (781-826-2577) and watch our videos at http://www.youtube.com/almarbuilding.com
Almar Building & Remodeling Co (Hanover Ma). As a third generation family owned and operated company for over 50 years Almar Building has all the benefits of a small company with the options of a larger company. From Additions, Kitchens, Bathroom, Basement Renovations, Siding, Windows, to Doors Almar services the entire South Shore of Massachusetts including: Hanover, Hingham, Pembroke, Norwell, Scituate, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanson, Abington, Rockland, Holbrook, Braintree, Weymouth, Milton, and many more towns. Pembroke: How Do You Know It’s Time to Replace Your Roof?
By Melissa Boynton, APM